Sunday, March 04, 2012

Bass Restoration


Yep. Those strings go all the way up to Heaven. That's why I couldn't get 'em all in the picture. Well, that and my pisspoor photography.

This is a bass I've had since--the year escapes me but it'd have to be prior to 2006, probably '02 or '03. Ibanez 5-string. I inherited it from who was then the bassist in my quartet, as he'd moved on to a 6-string bass at that juncture.(Kinda half-figured I'd hear from him at some future point, when he would be ready to make that jump from 6 strings to 8. Or 10).

Okay. I'm kidding. Kevin, hope the 6-string is still serving you well. I used to do much bouncing back and forth between the 4-strings and 6(that is, guitar)--actually a preponderance of bass gigs. Though of some Irish extraction, I don't do much dublin as an instrumentalist these days, keeping it pretty much all on guitar. I have played a few gigs on this instrument, though, and it does play well.

I plan on using this bass for my home recording efforts, where applicable. The left-hand bass patches on my Ensoniq have their moments, but sometimes you need the real deal, Neil. So I got this instrument "restored" just today.

Being a dreadful handyman, I revel in every little bit of knowledge or expertise I have. So...took a look at the situation with the bass. No sound. Probably a battery problem, but I can't take the back off, as it requires a special screwdriver. Hmmm. I think they call those Phillips head screwdrivers. Sooo, headed to Wal-Mart for a Phillips head screwdriver(around $2.58)and 2 9-volt batteries(around $3.40). Got the back popped off, changed the battery and- voila!- the bass is once again jammin'.

So I'm looking forward to re-employing the bass on my home recordings. It'd been sitting there dormant for the longest damn time. Until today.


ps Sorry for the groaner awhile back...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home