Sunday, March 04, 2012

Beginnings


This is the first jazz group I ever played in.
The Bob Graham Quartet, from maybe 1968-71(I am the shy young man of 15-or-so holding the bass), with Bob on Tenor Saxophone and Clarinet; Ben Drake, piano; and Bill Waldmire, drums. (Robert "Hoppy" Johnson was the original drummer, and is featured in the Gallery on my "regular musician" site). Ben, who played guitar and bass as well as piano, was my teacher for some years at a local music store. I was originally a guitar student, but also played electric bass, and Ben encouraged me to take up string bass and play in his group.

It was a wonderful experience musically, and I learned a great deal in those three years. We had a running gig for some time at a local restaurant every Friday and Saturday evening, and afterwards I'd stay up all night listening to jazz on the radio(KSD in St Louis!). As a kid living at home, I had no overhead, so all the money I made was spent on jazz albums. Stacks and stacks of jazz albums,by all kinds of artists. Between that, and my Dad's albums, I did quite a bit of listening.

So. This is where it all started for me. Thanks again to Ben, and Hoppy, and Bobby and Bill, for giving me this opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home