Sunday, July 09, 2006

Life Cycle of the CD

I have a new CD(Solo Jazz Guitar). Have as in got the boxes last Friday, in my possession. From all the things that can(and do)go wrong, I've learned not to count my chickens until they're hatched, so the point of completion is really when UPS drops the boxes off on my front porch. At that point we're there. Or here, at any rate..

No matter what you do to try to streamline things, these projects seem to take about as long as a normal maternity: around 9 months. One of my recordings(Oop Bop Sh' Bang)was interrupted by a maternity and thus took even longer to come to fruition. But normally about 9 months. This one was underway(1st recording session)last November and I got the CDs in July, so 8 months--actually under the mark, though with the various snags and delays it felt like a longer period of time.

And like a kid being hatched, the real fun parts are the conception and the arrival. The in-between stuff is generally a pain in the ass.

So, yeah, this(along with the conception - n'yuk, n'yuk)is the fun part. The cover looks good and everything sounds good. Got my 5 initial copies off to CD Baby(from whence I sell my wares), and other copies off to most of the people involved with the production here. Should be officially online around the end of this week, Friday or Saturday, at which point I'll tell the world.

Well, the infinitesimal portion of it I know anyway...

Funny thing about these recordings. So much of yourself goes into making the music, and in selecting which music to use. You try to put together something lots of people will enjoy(and purchase too, let's hope), based on your best judgment. It's such a personal thing. But once it's off and running, it's pretty much out of your hands as far as the fate of your CD- up to the judgment of people who may have nothing to do with you. Or even less than that.

Again like a kid, it starts to take on a life of its own. Hopefully this 'newborn' CD will flourish, healthy and strong out there in the world . Or at least sell a few copies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home