Thursday, April 12, 2007

PC? Me??


Actually I hate the whole idea of political correctness, the whole punctilious anality of it: well you're supposed to do it/say it/think it/ this way. On an individual basis though, I do try not to hurt feelings. Like Jonathan Swift, I love people but often can't stand mankind. Anyway, let me see if I can come to the point here.

For a number of years I hosted a weekly poker game here at chez Roundly. Much jocularity, as would befit such a gathering. Everybody seemed to have their own personal witticisms for the game(mine for instance was renaming "Texas Hold-em" as "Shit in the Middle"), and one individual would always use the Engrish for Club Flush when the hand came up. Crub Frush.

And we'd have a big ol' Caucasian laugh over that one every time. When this individual passed on rather suddenly, I decided to write him a tribute piece. Titled, of course, Crub Frush. Started to write it on a few occasions, never really got too far. But still vowed to turn it out sometime or other.

Over the past month or so, I've gotten some e-mails which made me rethink all this. One was from Hong Kong, someone who'd downloaded half a dozen of my tunes and was asking permission to play them(?). I never did find out exactly what that was about, but just told him, "sure, go ahead and play them" as far as all that. Very flattering- I was tickled!

The other was from someone in Japan, who has 4 of my CDs, and was asking for recommendations on which others he might like. I wrote right back and mentioned a couple 3 I thought would be a good fit. Again, I was very flattered.

In this latter e-mail, from Japan, I was kinda sympathizing with the person's linguistic difficulties as far as communicating in English( some of it was nicht zu gut, even though I could tell what he was trying to say). The differences between the two languages is like apples and oranges, so you might as well be speaking Martian.

Somehow, Crub Frush just didn't seem so funny anymore. Really more cruel than anything. Something I wasn't sure I wanted the two people who'd written to me to see as a tune out there, let alone others who might stumble across it. I do have a tune called Nippon Funk*, which someone from Japan stumbled onto and bought 3 copies of! So whatever I send out there, I'd like it to be something which will be a happy surprise when someone finds it.

So I may well send a dedicated tune out there to my deceased pokerpal of a couple-or-so years. But I'll have to come up with a different title. One that'll play better in 2007.


*from the CD In Your Dreams, available at http://cdbaby.com/all/scrain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home